July 05, 2005

Let's get the dust off the ol' blog....

Ever had a long stretch where not much in the news seemed interesting? I think I'm in a rut like that, or maybe I'm just a little more apathetic than normal in my ripe old age.

Take the Tom Cruise 'fiasco'. The guy makes movies -- usually good movies. Because of this, he gets a lot of interviews whenever he does anything remotely interesting, such as making a movie, dating someone, or passing gas. On one such occasion, he makes a fool of himself discussing mood-related drugs, psychology, and whatnot. His feelings are based on his religion, which some call crazy and far out in its tenets. I'm not one of those people, because I believe a Jewish man (born from a virgin womb) could turn water into wine, as well as walk on water, before he rose from the dead three days after being crucified. I'm not trying to push my beliefs on you, the reader, but to those who aren't Christian, that seems pretty weird, so far be it for me to criticize someone else's religion. But that's another blog. Well, maybe.

Anyway, back to Cruise. He says these things on national television to Matt Lauer, who apparently didn't realise that he was there to, um, PROMOTE A MOVIE. How we went from weird space aliens to postpartem depression is beyond me, but I didn't see the interview, only the most shocking parts that the media lets me see. So now Tom looks like a complete ass when he should be celebrating the release of a blockbuster movie and his recent engagement to Katie Holmes, whom he'd been dating for nearly 17 minutes before he proposed to her. Then Brooke Shields gets into it by writing a letter about how Tom is wrong and should be hated for what he said because she suffers from postpartem depression, along with (cheap shot related to recent lack of acting deleted, but, man was it funny).

And while some people are getting up in arms about this, I really don't care. It's what he believes whether he's right or wrong, and there's not a whole lot we can do to alter what he believes in. Arguing about it is fine, but it doesn't really change anything, aside from raising the blood pressure of those involved in the discussion. What upsets me (but not really all that much) is the timing of this. I know that he's getting a lot of interviews now, so statistically it's the right time for it to happen, but it seems like it only helped get the word out about the movie. Ever notice that celebrity scandals usually happen right as they're about to release something? Paris Hilton (the walking controversy) and Nicole Ritchie had problems just as a season of the Simple Life was about to start, and lest we forget the Hollywood Equation: Hugh Grant + L.A. Prostitute = Nine Months publicity!!

I know it's a lot of words to say it (which may negate my whole point), but I don't care. It's people being people, the only difference being that this time they did it in front of millions of other people, and I've got too much to do to worry about something like that. And, yes, Kingdom Hearts IS something to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home