August 24, 2006

We are so smrt. S-M-R-T, Smart.

Mmmmmmmm, intelligence.

So, my darling wife just got the results back from her first big test of her thrid year of medical school. She scored very well, two standard deviations (or two sigmas) higher than the average (or mean) score. In fact, she was a mere five points from having the high score in the entire STATE. We're very proud of her, and totally ecstatic for her. I have to say, though, that news just as surprising as her success was the sun rising the following morning.

My cousin got his doctorate in physics from Vanderbilt this month as well. We now call him Dr. Matt, Dr. Uncle, or Dr. Daddy, depending on who we are (I'm guessing I'll tend to call him the first of those options). You can read the abstract to his dissretation (or attempt to, anyway) here. I think you have to actually buy the article to read it online, though if you're interested, I've got a copy I can email you. His research will change the world in ways that few mortals can begin to fathom, nay, even pronounce.

Me? I is not as smrt as me peeps. Though, I will say this -- I've been noted by Ken Jennings (of Jeopardy! fame) not once, but TWICE on his website (yes, I was one of the two that answered that all of those people could be linked by shots, though the home run answer was funnier). If you admire Ken from his days on Jeopardy, or if even you don't and just enjoy trivia, his site is a great one to peruse. I'd also suggest you buy his book, as I'm guessing it will be really interesting. Plus, one-tenth of the proceeds will benefit the Church of Latter-Day Saints!

Finally, if you've ever played Final Fantasy or Dungeons and Dragons (or if you just like to make fun of those who do), you have to read 8-Bit Theatre, and on-line comic strips that (loosely) uses characters from the very first Final Fantasy (hence the 8-bit in the title). I've linked to the first of over 700 (!!) strips dating back to 2001. Great stuff, and a fitting link to include on a blog like Nerds of a Feather.

2 Comments:

At 1:45 PM, Blogger FzxGkJssFrk said...

Hey Mr. Nerd, please give Mrs. Nerd my heartiest congratulations. As my grandfather (the other one) used to say, "Never a doubt."

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Mike said...

Yep, and I'm reminded of it every time I wake up or come home. :)

[/sucking up]

 

Post a Comment

<< Home